PREAKNESS VALLEY GOLF COURSE
Founded in 1892 and made public in 1931, The Preakness Valley Golf Course is one of the first 100 golf clubs to be established in the United States (Featured in Golf Magazine, January 1995). The golf course is situated in the Preakness Valley Park on 377 acres and shares the property with the Historic Dey Mansion. The site is owned and operated by the County of Passaic.
The Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders have made it possible for Preakness Valley Golf Course to host the county’s high school golf teams matches and tournaments. It also serves as host to the Passaic County Amateur Championship held in June.
HISTORIC DEY MANSION
The Historic Dey Mansion was built by Colonel Theunis Dey in 1770 after his father Dirck Dey had purchased the 600 acre property in 1681. Colonel Theunis Dey offered the mansion on two occasions to the Continental Army to serve as headquarters for General George Washington. The Dey Family sold the mansion and some of the property in 1801. It was owned privately by numerous families until its final purchase by the County of Passaic in 1930. In 1934, the site was restored and opened to the public as a historical site. The Dey Mansion is still open to the public for guided tours today.